Friday, January 25, 2008

photographers without websites: shawn gust


Ben Huff tipped me off to Shawn Gust, another photographer without a portfolio website yet...but with a blog.

i not only like Shawn's photos, but i really appreciate his perspective. i asked him about the difference between a website and a blog. he said: "I think the blog is good way to keep up in the photography world in a kind of real time way. My blog is quite personal and I understand that this is a fine line to walk if I were using it to get work. At the same time, I think the personal approach creates an relationship/connection that a website cannot fully convey. I will be putting my work up in a simple form of a website in the months to come. This will be a sort of final edit of my work. A process that I need to do for myself."

i think its true that these types of sites function differently. the blog is more diaristic and more interactive. but at the end of the day, i think the final edit is important too.

the photos above would make my final edit -- they are titled "Jacob . Lacrosse Ave . CdA, ID . 2008" and "Bernadette, bartender . Coeur d'Alene, ID . 2007." of his portraits, he writes: "How do my subjects feel when I make their photograph? Why would this guy want me in a picture?...The subjects that I work with are mostly strangers. Their environment, or mine, or the way I see and use the surroundings, is very much a part of what I find interesting at first sight..."

No comments: